Wednesday, April 15, 2009

The Path I Didn't Even Know Existed


3 months ago when my church first announced the Bible study on Psalms, I was excited because I thought I was going to learn facts about the Psalms. I was looking forward to a history lesson and background information that would help me better understand them.

But God had another plan for me. The course wasn't about facts and history, but the emotions and poetry. Each week we examined psalms from a different perspective and each week I couldn't figure out how there could be another week like this. What else could be gleaned from such an approach?

At the end of the 10 weeks, several of us agreed that this course did not go the way we thought or originally wanted it to. However, it took us to a place of such higher understanding and closeness to God. It was absolutely amazing as only He can do it!

The Psalms are the heart of the Old Testament. While Genesis, Exodus, Deuteronomy, etc., give us the framework of the Israelites, the Psalms expose to us the emotions behind all of it. In this book is the agony of feeling defeated, the frustration of feeling forgotten, the joy of God's miracles and praise of the Almighty when all else fails.

Need a prayer? Leaf through the pages of Psalms. You'll find your emotions so beautifully written out by someone else. You begin to realize God knows what you're feeling, He understands your hurt and frustration. And He'll bring you back to where you feel like praising Him. Read, meditate, pray and enjoy!

1 comment:

  1. May God richly bless you as you seek to share the joy you find in His word.
    It is the only hope for those who walk in darkness in this world.
    Love in Him,
    Jlo

    ReplyDelete