Thursday, January 1, 2009

Anxiety Attack

Several days back, when I listed some of my favorite verses that get me through my most anxious moments, I somehow forgot my absolute favorite. But, while looking for it, I found another verse that I added to my verses journal.

The one I added was:

"Don't be anxious about anything, but in everything, by prayer and petition, with thanksgiving, present your requests to God."
Philippians 4:6

Now the long verse I calm myself down with, when I get anxious, comes from Matthew 6. I don't have it all memorized, I just recall it's meaning or find it in my journal.

(25) For this reason I say to you, do not be worried about your life, as to what you will eat or what will you drink; nor for your body, as to what you will put on. Is not life more than food, and the body more than clothing? (26) Look at the birds of the air, that they do not sow, nor reap, nor gather into barns, and yet your heavenly father feeds them. Are you not worth much more than they? (27) And who of you can add a single hour to his life?
...
(32) For the Gentiles eagerly seek all these things; for your heavenly Father knows that you need all these things. (33) But seek first His kingdom and His righteousness, and all these things will be added to you.
(34) So do not worry about tomorrow, for tomorrow will care for itself. Each day has enough trouble of its own.

Now, I understand that this does not give me free reign to sit around and play video games, instead of working, cause God will take care of it. There is that condition in the verse about "seek first His kingdom" which isn't done by being a couch potato. It's a purposeful action on my part and is why I read the Bible, read daily meditations, pray often, attend a church, etc. I'm seeking His kingdom and righteousness.

I pray that this helps someone out there who is overly anxious and desperate about the future. I know the desperation that anxiety can bring... been there, done that, still go through it occasionally. May all of us afflicted with this desperation feel the Holy Spirit guiding us to more positive actions that lead us seeking down the right path.

God Bless and Happy New Year!

No comments:

Post a Comment