Tuesday, December 2, 2008

15 Months of TV

Coming into work this morning, I was listening to Greg Laurie's (http://www.harvest.org/) sermon about what it takes to get to heaven. He mentioned a statistic that stunned me. The average person watches 15 months of TV during their lifetime.

This time of year, when it's already cold and dark by the time I get home from work, it's way too easy to immediately sit on the couch and veg in front of the TV for the evening. Prying myself away to cook dinner is excruciating, much less doing anything else. All of the sudden I have lead in my rear-end -- and the inactivity actually leads to me looking like I have lead there. Anyway, by the time I know it, bed time rolls around and I have just watched 3 hours of TV and done little else. At 5 days a week, that's 15 hours of TV.

Pastor Laurie's sermon started me thinking what else I could be doing during that time. I could read the Bible, write a blog that might inspire someone to turn to Jesus, work on a Bible study to increase my knowledge and grow my relationship with God, play a board game with my child, knit a scarf to give to the homeless shelter, start a home business... The list goes on. 15 hours is a lot of time to get something accomplished.

But now spread that over my life time. 15 months is the statistic Pastor Greg presented. What good can I accomplish in 15 months? What would I do if someone told me I have 15 months to do whatever I want?

Pastor Greg just made me realize I have 15 months to do something special and all I have to do is stay off the couch and turn off the TV when I get home from work today, tomorrow and the day after.

I'm challenging myself and everyone out there to turn off the TV and do something to make a difference out there instead. Good luck!

No comments:

Post a Comment